Discord has become an indispensable tool for gamers, remote workers, and communities. However, it can be a bit cumbersome to switch between Discord and your game or work applications on a single screen. Fortunately, you can make Discord open on your second monitor, providing a seamless experience that keeps your main screen clutter-free. we’ll explore various methods to achieve this, ensuring you can effortlessly use Discord while multitasking on your primary screen.
How to Make Discord Open on Second Monitor:
Let’s break this down into easy-to-follow steps:
- Check Your Hardware Setup: Ensure your computer is physically connected to two monitors. If not, you’ll need a dual-monitor setup.
- Update Graphics Drivers: Outdated graphics drivers can cause display issues. Visit your graphics card manufacturer’s website to download and install the latest drivers.
- Launch Discord: Open Discord on your computer if it’s not already running. Ensure it’s the latest version by checking for updates.
- Access User Settings: Click the gear icon in the bottom-left corner to access your user settings.
- Navigate to the Appearance Tab: In the settings menu, click on the “Appearance” tab on the left.
- Select Window Settings: Scroll down to the “Window Settings” section, which allows you to customize how Discord behaves in windowed mode.
- Choose Monitor: Find the “Open Discord on” dropdown menu. Click it and select your second monitor.
Pro Tip: To identify your monitors, click on “Identify” in the Windows Display Settings. A number will appear on each screen.
- Save Your Settings: Click the “Save” button to apply your changes.
- Restart Discord: Close Discord and reopen it to ensure your new settings take effect.
- Test It Out: Drag Discord’s window to your second monitor and check if it opens there by default.
Note: If Discord still opens on your primary monitor, try restarting your computer for the changes to fully apply.
- Customize Additional Settings: While in the Appearance tab, feel free to tweak other settings, like theme and scaling, to suit your preferences.
- Enjoy Discord on Your Second Monitor: You’re all set! Now, you can have Discord open on your second monitor while gaming, working, or doing whatever you fancy, also you can turn of message request on discord.
For Mac Users:
Mac users can also easily set up Discord to open on their second monitor:
- Connect Your Second Monitor
- Ensure that your second monitor is connected to your Mac.
- Access Display Preferences
- Click the Apple logo in the top-left corner of your screen.
- Select “System Preferences.”
- Click on “Displays.”
- Arrangement Tab
- In the “Displays” section, go to the “Arrangement” tab.
- Drag Discord to the Second Monitor
- You will see two screens representing your monitors.
- Simply drag the Discord window from the primary monitor to the second monitor in the arrangement tab.
- Apply the Changes
- Discord should now open on your second monitor. Click “Apply” if prompted.
If you want to open Discord on your second monitor quickly, use this shortcut:
- Right-click the Discord icon on your taskbar.
- Hover over “Discord” in the context menu.
- You’ll see a list of open Discord windows; select the one you want on your second monitor.
Use Keyboard Shortcuts
- Press Windows Key + Shift + Left/Right Arrow Key to move Discord to your first or second monitor, respectively.
- This method offers a swift solution for those who like to keep things simple and efficient.
There are third-party applications like “DisplayFusion” and “Borderless Gaming” that can help you manage applications across multiple monitors. They offer advanced features for handling window placement and are worth exploring if you need more control.
Discord’s In-App Pop-Out Feature:
Discord offers a convenient feature that allows you to pop out individual chat windows. While this doesn’t move the entire Discord application to your second monitor, it lets you move specific chats, which can be helpful for multitasking.
- Open the chat you want to move to your second monitor.
- Click the pop-out icon in the top-right corner of the chat window.
- Drag the popped-out window to your second monitor.
Troubleshooting Common Issues
While setting up Discord on your second monitor is usually straightforward, you might encounter some common issues. Here are solutions to a few of them:
Issue 1: Discord Opens on the Wrong Monitor
If Discord consistently opens on the wrong monitor, try the following:
- Close Discord.
- Drag the Discord window to the correct monitor.
- Reopen Discord.
Issue 2: Discord Keeps Moving Back to the Primary Monitor
If Discord doesn’t remember your monitor selection, it might be due to Discord’s “Run this program as an administrator” setting. To fix this:
- Right-click the Discord shortcut or executable.
- Go to “Properties.”
- Under the “Compatibility” tab, uncheck “Run this program as an administrator.”
Issue 3: Discord Lags or Freezes on One Monitor
If you experience performance issues on one monitor but not the other, it could be a hardware or driver problem. Ensure both monitors are set to the same resolution and refresh rate, and update your graphics drivers.
Issue 4: Problems with Third-Party Applications
If you’re using third-party applications to manage your dual-monitor setup and encounter issues, check for updates to those applications. They may need compatibility updates for the latest version of Discord.
Having Discord open on your second monitor can enhance your online communication and gaming experience. With a few simple settings, you can eliminate the hassle of alt-tabbing and enjoy seamless interactions with your friends and gaming buddies.
So, why wait? Follow the steps provided in this guide and make Discord open on your second monitor effortlessly. Embrace the improved convenience and stay connected without missing a beat in your gaming adventures or work tasks. Happy Discord-ing on your second monitor!
Q1: Can you have Discord open on two monitors?
A: No, Discord can only be actively open on one monitor at a time. However, you can extend or duplicate your display across multiple monitors to have Discord visible on one of them while using other applications on the second monitor.
Q2: How do I get Discord to open on the wrong monitor, as mentioned on Reddit?
A: To change which monitor Discord opens on, you can follow these steps:
- Close Discord if it’s currently running.
- Right-click the Discord shortcut or executable.
- Select “Properties.”
- In the “Properties” window, go to the “Compatibility” tab.
- Check the box for “Disable fullscreen optimizations.”
- Click “Apply” and then “OK.”
- Now, when you open Discord, it should appear on your primary monitor.
Q4: How do I use a second monitor while playing a game?
A: To use a second monitor while playing a game, you can follow these steps:
- Make sure both monitors are connected and recognized by your computer.
- Set the game to run in windowed or borderless windowed mode. Most games offer this option in their graphics settings.
- Start the game and move it to the primary monitor.
- Use the second monitor for other tasks, such as browsing, chatting, or monitoring applications while the game runs on the primary monitor.
This way, you can enjoy your game on one monitor and have the second monitor available for additional tasks. Note that the performance of the game may vary depending on your system’s capabilities and the game’s settings.
Also Read: How to Untimeout Someone on Discord: The Ultimate Guide